TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: RE: Another Year, Another Volume of the Digest

RE: Another Year, Another Volume of the Digest

Bob Goudreau (BobGoudreau@spam-poison.com)
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 22:49:32 -0500

[As always, please obscure my email address from the spammers. Thanks.]

PAT wrote:

> We are now on volume 25 of the Digest (in case you had not noticed) and
> we are in another year, 2006 (which I am sure you _did_ notice.) We
> started off yesterday, Sunday, with issue 1 of volume 25. This Digest
> has been around now for a _quarter-century_, since 1981, ...

> Our 'official' quarter-century mark occurs on August 11.

Pat, how did the Digest manage to misplace a volume somewhere along the way?
If the practice ideally is to always start a new volume on January 1 of a
new year, then this year's volume should be number 26, not 25. I.e.:

Volume 1: August 11, 1981 through December 31, 1981 (a partial year volume)
Volume 2: January 1, 1982 through December 31, 1982
Volume 25: January 1, 2005 through December 31, 2005
Volume 26: January 1, 2006 through December 31, 2006

But I see from the Telecom Digest Archives that the system seemed to break
down for a while between 2001 and 2003:

[DIR] 1999.volume.19/ (this one is numbered as expected)
[DIR] 2000.volume.20/ (so is this one)
[DIR] 2001.volume.20/ (wait, it's a new year but we're still in Vol. 20!)

[DIR] 2002.volume.20/ (yet another new year, but still Vol. 20!)
[DIR] 2002.volume.21/ (a second volume for 2002)
[DIR] 2002.volume.22/ (a THIRD volume for 2002!)
[DIR] 2003.volume.22/ (Vol. 22 also spans more than one year)
[DIR] 2004.volume.23/ (things have stabilized to one volume per year again)

I assume that this numbering confusion took place during your absence
from the Digest that was caused by your stroke and ensuing
convalescence. We're glad we managed to get you back, and happy
birthday to the Digest!

Bob Goudreau
Cary, NC

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Figure it this way: 1981 from 2006
leaves 25 does it not? Originally August 1981 through December 1981
a partial volume. Volume 2 started in January 1982.

During all of year 2001 I was in convelesance which was most of volume
20 and all of volume 21. I skipped volume 21 on paper for that reason,
if you read the archives at the end of vol 20 I stuck a single issue
in there referred to as vol 21, and went on to vol 22. At some point
in there I thought about using the actual anniversary date to change
volume numbers and went to volume 23 from 22. I think that is how the
mix up happened. In any event, August 11 1981 through August 11, 2006
equals 25. I doubt I am going to do anything about the anniversary
anyway. Not that many people care either way, but thanks for your
kind thoughts.

PAT

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Another Year, Another Volume of the Digest"
Go to Previous message: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Payphone Surcharges (was: Unanswered Cellphones)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page