TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Letter From Russia

Re: Letter From Russia

Seth Breidbart (sethb@panix.com)
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 02:23:39 UTC

In article <telecom24.570.9@telecom-digest.org>, Seth Breidbart
<sethb@panix.com> wrote:

> In article <telecom24.566.15@telecom-digest.org>, TELECOM Digest
> Editor noted in response to a message from Valentin
> <valent@mailrus.ru>:

> It's spam.

> Spam is theft.

> Therefore, it's a scam.

> If he's so hard up, where did he get the resources to spam with?

> Wasn't there just a thread on why spam continues, because so many
> idiots send money to spammers? Some are suckers for bigger bodyparts,
> others for free money, others for helping the needy. All of those are
> reasons that spam continues.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I suppose he probably got the resources
> to send the spam from the local public library, where he said he
> looked up other information.

He lied. There's no way he "looked up" all that information on so
many people.

> Many libraries are not set up on their public terminals to block
> spam from going out.

And some aren't. Besides, my copy came from blueyonder.co.uk,
probably via a zombie in their network.

> And do you consider the occassional 'call for papers'
> printed here and at other sites to be 'spam'?

If they're posted to an appropriate newsgroup, and (more importantly)
not in excessive quantity each, they're not spam.

> Or the monthly notices
> or minutes of meetings from the EFF, ICANN and similar? Those are
> unsolicited also, yet they keep coming out to the entire net. PAT]

They do? The EFF only started mailing me stuff when I requested it.
ICANN never mailed me anything (not even answers to my complaints).

Posting stuff on their own website certainly isn't spam.

Seth

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: How many people were there he looked
up information on, Seth? PAT]

Go to Next message: Seth Breidbart: "Re: The Letter From valent@mailrus.ru"
Go to Previous message: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Spam (was FTC Do Not Call List)"
May be in reply to: Valentin: "Letter From Russia"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page