TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: New York's 3-Day Transit Strike Ends

New York's 3-Day Transit Strike Ends

Deepti Hajela (
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:53:43 -0600

By DEEPTI HAJELA, Associated Press Writer

Faced with mounting fines and the rising wrath of millio ns of
commuters, the city transit union sent its members back to work
without a new contract Thursday and ended a crippling, three-day
strike that brought subways and buses to a standstill.

Union members were told to return to their jobs and start preparing to
restore service. Buses were expected to roll around midnight, and most
trains were expected to be running by the Friday morning rush, just
two days before Christmas.

"I'm ecstatic that it's over, but I'm still really mad that they did
it," said Jessica Cunningham, 21, who was in town for the holiday. "I
really think it's screwed up that they decided to strike the week
before Christmas."

The breakthrough came after an all-night session with a
mediator. Around midday, leaders of the 33,000-member Transport
Workers Union overwhelmingly voted to return to work and resume
negotiations with the transit authority on a new three-year contract.

"We thank our riders for their patience and forbearance," said union
local president Roger Toussaint.

While the deal put the nation's largest mass transit system back in
operation, it did not resolve the underlying dispute -- pension
contributions were the main sticking point -- meaning there could be
another walkout if the negotiations fail.

The strike cost the city untold millions in police overtime and lost
business and productivity at the very height of the Christmas rush and
forced millions of commuters, holiday shoppers and tourists to
carpool, take taxis, ride bicycles or trudge through the freezing
cold. But the strike did not cause the utter chaos that many had
feared, and traffic in many parts of town was surprisingly light.

"In the end, cooler heads prevailed," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.
"We passed the test with flying colors. We did what we had to do
to keep the city running, and running safely."

The walkout, which began early Tuesday, was New York's first citywide
transit strike in more than 25 years. The workers left their jobs in
violation of a state law prohibiting public employees from striking.

The return to work was announced just minutes before Toussaint and two
of his top deputies were due in a Brooklyn courtroom to answer
criminal contempt charges that could have landed them in jail.

Earlier this week, state Justice Theodore Jones fined the union $1
million a day for striking. And under the state no-strike law, the
rank-and-file members were automatically docked two days' pay for each
day they stayed off the job.

"I'm ready to work the rush hour this afternoon if they let me," bus
driver Ralph Torres said from the picket line as the breakthrough was

The strike left bitter feelings across the city.

"I think it was all for nothing," said commuter Lauren Caramico, 22,
of Brooklyn. "Now the poor people of the TWU are out six days' pay,
and nothing gained."

Gov. George Pataki warned there was no possibility of amnesty for the
striking workers who were penalized financially. The fines "cannot be
waived. They're not going to be waived," he said.

Just before the deal was announced, an off-duty firefighter was
critically injured when he was struck by a private bus while riding
his bicycle to work. It was the first serious strike-related injury.

A chief sticking point in the talks was a Metropolitan Transportation
Authority proposal to require new hires to contribute 6 percent to
their pensions, up from the current 2 percent for all employees. The
pension proposal remained on the table despite the end of the walkout.

The vote to return to work was blasted by TWU dissidents who felt the
union had caved in.

"This was a disgrace," said TWU vice president John Mooney. "No
details were provided to the executive board. (Toussaint) wants us to
discuss the details after Christmas."

After workers returned to the job, the judge overseeing the dispute
adjourned all further action in the case until Jan. 20.

"I'm pleased on behalf of the people of the city of New York," Jones
said. "Hopefully, we'll be able to salvage Christmas."

On the Net:

Metropolitan Transportation Authority:
Transport Workers Union:

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at . Hundreds of new
articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at (or)

For more Associated Press headlines and audio news, please go to:

Post Followup Article Use your browser's quoting feature to quote article into reply
Go to Next message: New York Newsday Staff Writers: "Sun Sets on Transit Strike"
Go to Previous message: Howard S. Wharton: "Re: NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page