TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: The Letter From valent@mailrus.ru

The Letter From valent@mailrus.ru

Philip TAYLOR (P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk)
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:50:27 +0000

> In article <telecom24.566.15@telecom-digest.org>, TELECOM Digest
> Editor noted in response to a message from Valentin
> <valent@mailrus.ru>:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I thought about this message for quite
>> a while, and although it would probably qualify as spam (by virtue of
>> how many copies were distributed, I personally do not think it is a
>> scam.

> It's spam.

> Spam is theft.

> Therefore, it's a scam.

> If he's so hard up, where did he get the resources to spam with?

> Wasn't there just a thread on why spam continues, because so many
> idiots send money to spammers? Some are suckers for bigger bodyparts,
> others for free money, others for helping the needy. All of those are
> reasons that spam continues.

> Seth

It may be spam. It may even be a scam. Or it may be genuine. If
it's genuine, then we -- the recipients -- are in a position to help
soneone in genuine need. If it's a scam, then we may end up a little
poorer, and the scammer a little richer, but on balance, does it
matter? It's hardly in the same league as the Nigerian scam (and
anyone who falls for that needs their brains tested), so isn't it
worth risking losing a few rubles /kopeks/whatever ? I think it is.

Philip Taylor

Go to Next message: Reuters News Wire: "Last Laugh! Police Had to Convince Lottery Winner it was Real"
Go to Previous message: Ron Chapman: "Re: Through His Webcam, a Teenage Boy Joins a Sordid Online World"
May be reply: Steven Lichter: "Re: The Letter From valent@mailrus.ru"
May be reply: Seth Breidbart: "Re: The Letter From valent@mailrus.ru"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page