TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Congress: "Merry Christmas! We're Turning Off Your Analog Outs"

Re: Congress: "Merry Christmas! We're Turning Off Your Analog Outs"

nospam4me@mytrashmail.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:05:03 UTC

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Regards the first part of your
> statement on paying royalties what about classical music stations,
> where a great deal of the music itself is in the public domain, owing
> to the age of the compositions, etc? PAT]

It is my understanding that unlike 'pop' stations classical radio
stations must purchase the recordings. IANAL, but I think some ASCAP
and BMI money may go indirectly to performers; BMI was founded I think
in the wake of a musician's union strike which led to a several year
recording embargo.

Then too many classical recordings on the market are made by Eastern
European orchestras which wouldn't be in the ASCAP/BMI loop.

Herb Oxley
From: address IS Valid.

Go to Next message: Neal McLain: "Re: Wikipedia Becomes Internet Force, But Faces Crisis"
Go to Previous message: David Wolff: "Re: Spam (was FTC Do Not Call List)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page