TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: FTC Do Not Call List

Re: FTC Do Not Call List

Lena (lenagainster@gmail.com)
12 Dec 2005 12:44:38 -0800

Lena wrote:

> I'm trying to dictate what people can call me on MY phone...
> telemarketers ... are rude. They won't leave a message on the answeing
> machine, but will hang up, and then call over and over again.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I quite agree with your assessment, but
> my point was what makes _your_ telephone any more sancrosanct than _my_
> computer. ...And let's face it, spam-scam
> and phishing is far worse than telemarketers ever have been.

The difference between telemarketing and spam, IMHO, is that
telemarketers make my phone ring, and that is something that demands
immediate attention. That bothers me a lot. Much more than spam that
might happen to be in the inbox when I check for it at my leisure. (I
don't have automated email retrieval). I guess I have been fortunate
that I am not innundated with spam. As some of my ISP provided email
accounts that I guarded meticulously, and only sent to friends, leaked
to (or were guessed by) spammers, I switched to gmail, which seems to
have wonderful spam protection and spam reporting ease. Click a
button and it's gone. Telemarketers, OTOH, are difficult to get rid
of.

Lena

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: FTC Do Not Call List"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Court Won't Hear National Geographic CD-ROM Case"