TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: USA Wants Wiretap on Internet Calls Expanded

Re: USA Wants Wiretap on Internet Calls Expanded

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. (spamtrap100@comcast.net)
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:31:54 -0700

Jeremy Pelofsky <reuters@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> The U.S. Justice Department urged communications regulators to require
> Internet phone companies to provide the ability to conduct
> surveillance on services that offer only outgoing calls or incoming
> calls to or from the traditional phone network.

You know, this is just getting out of control. Our friends at DOJ seem
to be trying to make hay while the sun is shining, or at least trying
to push as far as they can in the current environment.

The bad guys aren't stupid and neither are the VOIP providers. All
they need to do is move offshore and they're exempt from dubious
extentions of CALEA.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Except, I have heard it said, that even
if _some portion_ of your communication crosses the border into the
United States, then the USA government claims to be in control. Or
even if they are _not_ permitted to wiretap the offshore end of the
conversation, they can wiretap the domestic portion and accomplish the
same thing. PAT]

Go to Next message: Tom Betz: "Re: Imagine All Your Information in One Convenient Place"
Go to Previous message: harold@hallikainen.com: "Re: Comcast, Verizon Wage Licensing War/Towns Caught in Crossfire"
May be in reply to: Jeremy Pelofsky: "USA Wants Wiretap on Internet Calls Expanded"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page