TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: If You Would Like to Get Away From ICANN Oversight and Registrars

Re: If You Would Like to Get Away From ICANN Oversight and Registrars

Dave Garland (dave.garland@wizinfo.com)
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:29:50 -0600

It was a dark and stormy night when Patrick Townson
<ptownson@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> or DHS International http://www.dhs.org where you can register domains in
> the name of your choice in the 'n3.net' top level and a few other top
> levels.

".net" is the "top" level.

> or SMARTDOTS http://smartdots.com where you can register domains in the name
> of your choice in the top level '.tc'

I think that they actually own about 25 domains such as "at.tc" and
"net.tc", and offer subdomains. I have a few sub-subdomains there
myself, though I'm converting them to .com since Google doesn't seem to
index them. ".tc" is the national top-level domain for the Turks &
Calicos Islands.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You are correct; it is '.net' and not 'n3.net'
which is the top level. 'n3' is one underneath it. I thank you for
telling me the geographic location of '.tc' and I believe that '.tf'
is somewhere in the southern part of the Indian Ocean. I do not know
where '.tt' is located, nor '.tv' although the latter is used by many
television stations/networks in the USA for their web sites. I think
the way Google gets around to indexing those is if you have approval
for (and install script) on your pages there using Ad Sense. As soon
as Google gets a call for ads on pages there, they also index those
pages. I do know that _identical_ pages referenced via (for example)
'.us.tf' or '.net.tf' get different Google ads than when the same
pages are called via '.com' or '.org'. You'll see this in action if
you request 'telecom-digest.us.tf' instead of 'telecom-digest.org'.
I think the hassle is you are in the USA, not in Turks & Calicos,
so you see (mostly) the index intended for USA viewers; I'll wager
if you were in T&C you would get a somehat different index also, but
I am not positve on that. How do you like being able to self-service
register your sites on '.tc'? No fees, no registrar, no validation
of any kind required. That's the part I think I like best about all
my sites there. You register a site, no propogation required; it is
immediatly available, that _instant_. PAT]

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Infone to Shut Down"
Go to Previous message: CharlesH: "Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset"
May be in reply to: Patrick Townson: "If You Would Like to Get Away From ICANN Oversight and Registrars"