TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far

Re: Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far

Denise Reinecke (dmr436@gmail.com)
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:20:35 -0600

> Furthermore, XCP.Sony.Rootkit installs a device driver, specifically a
> CD-ROM filter driver, which intercepts calls to the CD-ROM drive. If
> any process other than the included Music Player (player.exe) attempts
> to read the audio section of the CD, the filter driver inserts
> seemingly random noise into the returned data making the music
> unlistenable

Could I ask a very stupid question here, and maybe this is so obvious that
they defeated this?

I assume that these CD's play in regular non-computer players, like
the one in your car, right?

Couldn't you just turn off all of the auto-run and all that stuff on
your PC and play the thing just like a regular audio CD? Or is that
something that they have prevented?

Go to Next message: Associated Press News Wire: "Last Laugh! Woman Robs Banks While on Her Cell Phone"
Go to Previous message: Joe Morris: "MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far"