TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset

Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset

Michael D. Sullivan (userid@camsul.example.invalid)
Tue, 08 Nov 2005 02:36:19 GMT

davidesan@gmail.com wrote:

> Cellphones are available in 900 mhz, 2.4 Ghz, and 5.8 Ghz. I have
> read that the 2.4 Ghz phones can interfere with 802.11.x wireless
> routers. And I have read that there is no problem. Your thoughts or
> experiences? The 2.4 Ghz phones are about 1/2 the price of the 5.8
> and I don't really want to pay for technology I don't need.

They're cordless phones, not cellphones. I haven't used the 5.8 GHz
phones, so I can't opine on them. The 2.4 GHz phones seem to me to be
less susceptible to interference than the 900 MHz phones, but that may
be a matter of how many users there are in a given band. I have been
using 2.4 GHz phones in my home for many years, coexisting without
incident with wireless networks using the same band (initially HomeRF,
now 802.11B/G). Currently I have three Wi-Fi access points running,
along with 8 AT&T/Vtech 2-line spread spectrum handsets and three
Wi-Fi computers (more when my son's friends come over with their
laptops to play games). Also a microwave oven. There is a small
amount of occasional interference on the phones, mostly location-based
(i.e., in a bad reception area), and no wireless issues to mention
with regard to Wi-Fi.

> 2. Any recommendations on brand?

I had bad luck with Siemens Gigasets (lots of interference and very
very poor battery life), better luck with AT&T/Vtech. I had a
wonderful Uniden many years ago, but it was discontinued.

Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD (USA)
(Replace "example.invalid" with "com" in my address.)

Go to Next message: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset"
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Looking for 1A2 Phone System Parts [Amphenol Splitters]"
May be in reply to: rlittle@thetasoft.com: "Replacement for Siemens Gigaset"