TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset

Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset

Dan Lanciani (ddl@danlan.com)
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 04:13:31 EST

I've been mostly satisfied with the first two generations of the 900MHz
EnGenius system. It supports handset-to-handset calls but not conference.

I've been thinking about my "next generation" cordless phone. It
occurs to me that it might be possible to leverage my existing 802.11
access point infrastructure to support 802.11 VoIP handsets with a
gateway like the Sipura SPA-3000 to a POTS line. (Obviously it could
make other kinds of VoIP calls as well.) Has anybody tried to build a
cordless phone this way?

In reading the SPA-3000 configuration guide I think I noticed a
possible problem. It appeared (and I should say that I spent very
little time on this so I may have missed something) that the gateway
will not forward a POTS call to VoIP unless it actually answers the
call. I noticed that you can control an answer delay in order to
accommodate other devices on the POTS line, but that's not quite what
I want. Is there some way to send a setup message to the VoIP handset
on detecting a ringing POTS line but not answer the POTS call unless
the VoIP handset is itself answered?

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

Go to Next message: Nicole Winfield: "Sunday Sermon For This Week"
Go to Previous message: Tom: "Can't See dot.tk"
May be in reply to: rlittle@thetasoft.com: "Replacement for Siemens Gigaset"