TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Old Chicago Numbering

Re: Old Chicago Numbering

Tony P. (kd1s.nospam@nospam.cox.nosapm.net)
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:46:02 -0500

In article <telecom24.499.15@telecom-digest.org>, JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com
says:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:43:17 -0500, Tony P.
> <kd1s.nospam@nospam.cox.nosapm.net> wrote:

>> I do recall that they really stretched out the cutovers. My
>> grandparents house in Providence still had the old style call progress
>> tones indicating they were still on the Panel until 1975 or so. The CO
>> for most of Providence is a huge building -- at least 14 floors that
>> were once filled with switching gear. Now it's just the 4th floor. The
>> rest of the building is offices.

> I was in Providence in 1978 and my recollection is that they had mixed
> ESS, panel and #1XB all working right next to each other. Another
> interesting thing about Providence is evidently Providence was a 2L 4N
> city originally since many of the exchanges in Providence have a one
> after them like PLantations 1, ELmhurst 1 and so on.

Yes I believe it did but in my time we had 7 digit. The only phone I'd
ever seen with 2L1-4N was my grandparents 554 set. JAckson-1-4937. But
I've seen old advertising materials for the Providence area that has
2L-4N numbers on it.

Very interesting -- I knew that Panel an ESS were in existence at the
same time but wasn't aware of the #1XB.

Go to Next message: Antony Bruno: "Market Growing for Refurbished, Used iPods"
Go to Previous message: Garner Miller: "Re: AT&T Answering System 1309 - Need Help With Instructions"
May be in reply to: Paul Coxwell: "Old Chicago Numbering"