TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Phone Shown in 'Capote' / RJ Connector History

Phone Shown in 'Capote' / RJ Connector History

C_shore (davidk99@gmail.com)
30 Oct 2005 10:37:16 -0800

In the movie Capote I just saw the actor is shown using a phone with a
RJ connector. The time period would have been 1966 or before.

I hate sloppy history in movie props. Were RJ connectors in use in 66?

This could be the worst film/phone mistake since a movie (sorry I
forgot the name) that showed an actor using a Pacific Bell pay phone
in New York City some years back.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: They were in use beginning sometime in
the early to middle 1960's, but they were not the little plastic things
which plug in and snap out like today. They were four-prong metal
things with a plastic cover; they more closely resembled wall outlets
for electrical cords. My private phone line at Windermere Hotel in
1963-64 (HYDe Park 3714)had one, although the 'house' phone (off of
the Windermere switchboard) was hard wired. When I eventually got a
new 'two line phone' (turn button to select desired line, either
private line or switchboard) to go in my bedroom, that one also had an
RJ connector, I think either 1965 or 1966.) PAT]

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "Google Wants to Dominate Madison Avenue, Too"
Go to Previous message: Lara Jakes Jordan: "Hurricane Victim Food Ripped Off, Resold on E-Bay"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Phone Shown in 'Capote' / RJ Connector History"
May be reply: fgoodwin: "Re: Phone Shown in 'Capote' / RJ Connector History"
May be reply: Brad Houser: "Re: Phone Shown in 'Capote' / RJ Connector History"
May be reply: Paul Coxwell: "Re: Phone Shown in 'Capote' / RJ Connector History"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page