TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Wilma Causing Network-Wide Outages With Verio-Hosts

Re: Wilma Causing Network-Wide Outages With Verio-Hosts

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:03:18 GMT

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:52:53 -0700, Robert Weller wrote:

> We are a west-coast (San Francisco) firm. Our website, which is
> hosted by Verio, has been down since at least this morning. The
> problem appears to be a "proactive shutdown" by Verio's data center in
> Boca Raton, Florida. Since Verio provides hosting services for
> millions of customers, I expect that this action in Boca Raton is
> having internet-wide implications and affecting many, many businesses.

I gather it is back up, but I snipped that portion.

I don't know if Verio offers the option, but important web sites are
usually dual homed, at least. More than dual is usually due to
capacity and traffic. If you use two sites geographically far apart,
you vastly increase the possibility that at least one will be up.

When they started building SS7 networks based on STPs, there was a
rule of thumb to place each pair of the quad far enough apart to drive
a hurricane or other natural disaster between them. I don't know what
is done now.

Which reminds me, does anyone know why the US built a network of STPs
and Europe went with switch to switch F links? A Brit at BT once said
it was due to a lack of processing power in the 1AESS, but he was, of
course, on the F link side.

Go to Next message: kevincw01: "Re: Long Beach, CA Network Failure"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Motorola Shows Carriers More Ways to Deliver IPTV at TELECOM 2005"
May be in reply to: Robert Weller: "Wilma Causing Network-Wide Outages With Verio-Hosts"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page