TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: More on San Francisco and Oakland Numbering

Re: More on San Francisco and Oakland Numbering

Tim@Backhome.org
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:11:44 -0700

Mark Roberts wrote:

> Thanks to the clipping files at the History Room of the Oakland Public
> Library, I have been able to pin down the date that San Francisco and
> Oakland went fully to 2L-5N numbers: August 10, 1947, a Sunday, at 12
> midnight.

I don't believe any telco has done a cut on Sunday night. It was
typically Saturday night (or perhaps 2:00 AM on Sunday) in early post
WWII years. Then, Bell tended to do ESS cutovers at 2:00 AM on
Saturdays, so they would have the weekend to work out kinks.

Go to Next message: (no name): "What Happened to The Digest?"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: San Francisco and Oakland Exchange Numbering"
May be in reply to: Mark Roberts: "More on San Francisco and Oakland Numbering"