TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Long Beach, CA Network Failure

Re: Long Beach, CA Network Failure

Henry Cabot Henhouse III (sooper_chicken@hotmail.com)
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:32:39 -0700

We felt the outage at 2 of our 4 buildings ... we lost 911, 411, and
lots of toll frees, pretty much everything our clec (mpower) routed
through Verizon. Our other clec, Paetec, had no outage. And one of
our Global Crossing data T1's backhauled to Anaheim was out, Global
attributed it to the "earthquake" in Long Beach (did you feel the
earth move? I didnt). 2 other Gblx, our multimeg Uunet pipe, our
Telepacific and mPower data T1's were all up, just the one Gblx went
kaput.

The local news covered it as rain damage, saying 911 calls over pcs
wasn't affected, and local 7D Police and Fire Dept numbers were given
out. A day later, Verizon 'fessed up and said a software glitch took
it all down, and the backup system failed.

The outage hit about 6 am, our Gblx came back up about 12:30pm,
411/800 dialling later that afternoon.... so it was longer than just a
few hours. If any pcs sites were affected, it could be due to the
sporadic data outage.

Dave

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: On Having Telco as a Housemate (was Question Easement)"
Go to Previous message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: Voice Calls Will be Completely Free in a Few Years"
May be in reply to: Tim@Backhome.org: "Long Beach, CA Network Failure"