TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Recorded Weather Forecast for New York City?

Re: Recorded Weather Forecast for New York City?

Paul Coxwell (paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk)
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:51:50 +0100

> There used to be a recorded weather forecast for New York at
> 212-976-1212. Westchester County had 914-976-1212.

> However, those numbers no longer work. The AAA Guidebook, which once
> listed the numbers, is now silent on it.

> Would anyone know if such a service still exists for NYC? (And other
> cities as well)?

> (Philadelphia weather is 215 WE 6-1212, time is 215 TI 6-1212, the
> same numbers for many years. Bell used to update the weather
> recording hourly, not it only does it a few times during the day.)

Try (212) 976-2828. You need to listen through the lotto results
before getting to the weather forecast though!

I remember in the early 1980s NYC was using 936-1212 for weather and
936-1616 for time. I can't remember when they changed to 976 numbers,
possibly late 1980s?

When WE6 was still in use there was also the "Big Apple Report" on
999-1111. Was 999 a general exchange serving part of NYC at that
time, or was that a special prefix?

WE6-1212 will still get you the weather forecast for Boston (617),
Milwaukee (414), and Washington D.C. (202).

-Paul

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: Recorded Weather Forecast for New York City?"
Go to Previous message: George Mitchell: "Re: Recorded Weather Forecast for New York City?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Recorded Weather Forecast for New York City?"