TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Disaster Recovery in 1871

Re: Disaster Recovery in 1871

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:20:34 GMT

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:55:39 +0000, John McHarry wrote:

> Well, I sent the original article to friends who were stationed near
> Alamogordo several years ago, and they found the house.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I seem to remember you writing here to
> tell me about them finding the house which had formerly belonged to
> the switchboard operator. I do not remember if your report said the
> house was still telco property and in use (for something else, obviously)
> or not. PAT

I don't think I ever knew. I kind of assumed from the story they had
put the switchboard in somebody's home, perhaps the telephone company
owner's. Alamogordo is now Qwest, but it may have been a mom and pop
back then, or at least the outlying areas. Next time I talk to the
people who found it, I'll try to remember to ask what it is now.

Go to Next message: Jonathan Marashlian: "The Front Lines - October 14, 2005"
Go to Previous message: Carl Zwanzig: "Re: What is Area Code 113?"
May be in reply to: Patrick Townson: "Disaster Recovery in 1871"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page