TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 04:16:26 UTC

In <telecom24.456.2@telecom-digest.org> John Stahl <aljon@stny.rr.com>
writes:

[ big snip ]

> companies. But their usage differs from potential US deployment from
> the basic differences in end-user voltage of 240 VAC (Europe) vs. 120
> VAC (US). The European distribution system normally connects something
> like 200 - 300 end-users into one (last link) transformer distribution
> point while the US power system has something like 4 or so end-users
> connected to the (last link) power transformer. This big difference
> makes the US proposed BPL system design more expensive than other
> deployed methods of supplying broadband to end-users.

I have to wonder whether there's a multi-country
definitiional/translation issue here.

In US urban areas, while the utility transformer may only feed five
separate addresses, each of those is an apartment building with 25-50
or more customers (which, in turn, may be 50 or 100 people -- totalling
up to, perhaps 500 or more individuals per transformer).

And our rural areas tend to be, well, more rural ... than most of
Europe. And certainly more spread out than Japan.

Anyone out here in Telecom Digest land have any hands-on familiarity
with the distinctions?

Thanks.

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: Daniel AJ Sokolov: "Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband"
Go to Previous message: Steven Lichter: "Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband"