TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Finally Cutting the POTS Cord

Finally Cutting the POTS Cord

Brian E Williams (sorry_no_email@yahoo.com)
5 Oct 2005 11:52:19 -0700

http://tinyurl.com/9jqae

Above link is a picture of the inside of my outside telecom box here
in the USA. I want to route my Vonage VoIP service to my internal
phone network, so first I am going to disconnect the internal network
from the POTS provider as a test. I am guessing that I just flip
those little connectors up and then pull out the solid blue and
blue-white wires, being careful to keep them arranged for easy
reconnection.

Is there anything else I need to worry about? Also, is having four
wires standard for a single line? Maybe that is how I can do three
way calling and call waiting, but I never thought about it before.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The two features you asked about; call
waiting and three-way calling are _central office features_ and have
nothing to do with your internal wiring. All you really need for a
single central office line is two wires, typically red/green or
perhaps in newer configurations solid blue and blue/white. The absolutely
most important thing to remember is avoid having the central office
lines (whatever color they are) come in contact with the VoIP lines.
Having them come in contact will almost surely cause the VoIP box to
fry out. As long as the _live_ telco wires do not come in contact with
the VoIP line or your house wiring then wherever your telco line
reached before, your VoIP line should reach now. PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband"
Go to Previous message: Elizabeth Montalbano: "Windows XP SP 3 Review Surfaces Online"
May be reply: John McHarry: "Re: Finally Cutting the POTS Cord"
May be reply: BrianEWilliams: "Re: Finally Cutting the POTS Cord"
May be reply: Joseph: "Re: Finally Cutting the POTS Cord"
May be reply: Brian E Williams: "Re: Finally Cutting the POTS Cord"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page