TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: State of the Internet, 2005

Re: State of the Internet, 2005

Henry (henry999@eircom.net)
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 23:10:13 +0300

OK, let me keep this simple for you.

Robert Bonomi <bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com> wrote:

> <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:

>> TELECOM Digest Editor <ptownson@massis.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

>>> A look at the internet as it stands now, in 2005, from a compilation
>>> originally prepared by CNN.com:

>>> Chain letters

>>>...it is illegal to start or forward an e-mail chain letter
>>> that promises any kind of return. Anyone doing so could be prosecuted for
>>> mail fraud.

>> 'Anyone doing so could be prosecuted for mail fraud.'

> In the United States, that statement _is_ correct.

> The USPIS handles investigation/enforcement of 18 USC 1342.

> Which includes frauds that _induce_ victims to send money
> _via_the_mails_.

> If the 'scheme to defraud' involves the use of the postal mail system
> *in*any*way* then the crime of 'mail fraud' applies.

YOU are the first one to mention MONEY. What the CNN report said, and
PAT quoted, was 'a chain letter that promises any kind of return.'
Nothing about money. What about a chain 'letter', by E-MAIL, which
promises that you'll receive ten prayers for every one you send?

It does not involve money. It does not involve use of the postal mail
system. It is completely absurd to suggest that _anyone_ (in the
world!!!) who does this could be prosecuted for mail fraud.

You kind of remind me of the apologists for the Customs service. On
the one hand they claim that they have sophisticated 'profiles' which
identify even the wiliest of smugglers, yet on the other hand they
harass hundreds of millions of completely innocent people every year.
You can't have it both ways.

If the USPIS is so bloody adept and 18 USC 1342 applies to e-mail too,
then why the hell are we all inundated with SPAM -- much of which is
clearly fraudulent???

cheers,

Henry

Go to Next message: Brad Houser: "Re: Help Needed with DHCP on Remote Laptop"
Go to Previous message: Steve Stone: "Re: On Television, Brands Go From Props to Stars"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "State of the Internet, 2005"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page