TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Linksys Site Survey Shows Lots of Info on Nearby Wireless Networks

Linksys Site Survey Shows Lots of Info on Nearby Wireless Networks

apngss@yahoo.com
30 Sep 2005 10:23:51 -0700

I am using a Linksys Wireless Adapter. On site survey, I am able to
see the list of nearby wireless networks. For each wireless network, I
am able to see the SSID, wireless mode, channel, security mechanism,
and MAC address.

It is quite scary because we could see MAC address too? That means
people can hack the system?

I have seen some SSID that doesn't use any encryption at all. Does it
mean I am able to login to that wireless network without any security?
But I tried and it says couldn't find the access point. I am confused
because that wireless network can be scanned on site survey, then how
come it says couldn't find the access point?

Please advise. Thanks!!

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: First, I want to apologize that no
one seemed willing to talk about this to you yesterday when you first
wrote me, asking about WEP encryption. I provided you with a few
links to examine, they were easily found through Google with the
search key 'WEP Encryption Tools'. I hope that helped you out some.

Perhaps why it displays these places to you on site survey yet
claims it is unable to reach them is because although encryption
is a powerful tool to keep people out of your business (I use 64-bit
encryption with my wireless card) there are a couple other lines of
defense: One is to tell your router/adapter/whatever "do not broadcast
my name" leaving intruders to guess at whatever name you call your
wireless link and/or your computer, and two, telling your router/adapter
"do not respond to anyone but myself (MAC address, etc). By using
64-bit encryption along with 'do not broadcast' and 'do not respond'
you do make things more difficult, essentially if not totally, private.
PAT]

Go to Next message: Dave Garland: "Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?"
Go to Previous message: Anthony Bellanga: "2L-4N, 3L-4N, 2L-5N Numbering"
May be reply: William Warren: "Re: Linksys Site Survey Shows Lots of Info on Nearby Wireless Networks"
May be reply: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Linksys Site Survey Shows Lots of Info on Nearby Wireless Networks"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page