TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
29 Sep 2005 21:36:35 -0000

> Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is
> assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the
> MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept?

No. Your IP address has nothing whatsoever to do with your MAC
address. Your ISP assigns it from their pool of available addresses.
On my tiny network, when someone plugs in a new computer, it just
assigns the lowest numbered unused IP address.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: Barry Margolin: "Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?"
Go to Previous message: George Mitchell: "Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?"
May be in reply to: jrefactors@hotmail.com: "Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?"