TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: BellSouth/AT&T New Orleans "Main" at Baronne & Poydras Streets

Re: BellSouth/AT&T New Orleans "Main" at Baronne & Poydras Streets

Paul Coxwell (paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk)
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:44:44 +0100

Mark,

Great to have you back!

> And the AT&T 4ESS in the building (NWORLAMA04T, 060-T) is working, but
> quite overwhelmed with call volume. You will frequently get "All ccts
> busy" or "due to the hurricane in the area you are calling"
> recordings, with trailers of "zero-six-zero, tee" (060-T being the
> Network Switch Number of the New Orleans 4ESS).

Off on a tangent somewhat, but is there any sort of numbering system
applied to these modern ID numbers or is it more or less random
allocation?

I'm familiar with the old-style IDs such as "914-1" for White Plains
etc., but I've never been able to figure out how the current system is
supposed to work.

For example, dialing into the NANP from the U.K. using an unallocated
prefix within a valid area code often results in a "Your call cannot
be completed as dialed" recording with an ID of "two" followed by two
letters, e.g. 2BM. Are these class 2 tandem offices? Does the
network even still use the same class designations as in the past?

-Paul

Go to Next message: Paul Coxwell: "Re: Flat Rate Water, was: Verizon Complaints About EVDO"
Go to Previous message: Cellular-News: "Cellular-News for Friday 16th September 2005"
May be in reply to: Mark J. Cuccia: "BellSouth/AT&T New Orleans "Main" at Baronne & Poydras Streets"