TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Flat Rate Water

Re: Flat Rate Water

Dave Garland (dave.garland@wizinfo.com)
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:26:09 -0500

It was a dark and stormy night when jared@netspacenospamnet.au (jared)
wrote:

> Recently my water bill had an ad for a water monitor. Apparently the
> meters are read remotely by unit in a vehicle going down the
> street.

Automatic reporting by telephone (the meter connects to a box that
connects to your landline) is more common in Minneapolis, but they
also have battery-powered RF devices for situations where a telephone
line is not available or the owner refuses to permit a connection to
it. To add to the profusion of systems, there are also old meters
that must be read manually, and meters with remote readouts (a little
counter box that is mounted on the outside of the building for easier
access). I think we've got the entire history of meter-reading
technology on display. No WiFi units, but that's probably only a
matter of time if a plan goes through to provide citywide wifi access.

Go to Next message: William Warren: "Re: How a Telephone Works"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Flat Rate Water, was: Verizon Complaints About EVDO"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page