TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dear comp.dcom.telecom Readers

Re: Dear comp.dcom.telecom Readers

Mark Crispin (MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU)
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 10:17:05 -0700

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Kevin Buhr wrote:

> It *is* a Joe Job, and a ludicrously obvious one at that. Tom
> St.Denis is a frequent and valuable (if occasionally rather brusk)
> contributor to sci.crypt, and some nimrod he annoyed is obviously
> trying to cause major trouble for him.

I don't know if you realize it, but you just did the same thing. You
just accused hunters of being behind the Joe Job.

For your information, a nimrod is a hunter. Clueless cityfolk seem to
have a notion that this funny-sounding word is an insult. It is not.

Nimrod first appears in the Bible in Gen. 10:8-12 as "the first on
earth to be a mighty man. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord."
The other mentions of Nimrod are Mic. 5:6 and I. Chron 1:10, where
Assyria is called the "land of Nimrod". Apparently, Nimrod is the
ancient Hebrew name of the Mesopotamian hero Gilgamesh.

It is high praise to call a hunter a "nimrod". A community that
objects vociferously to misuse of "hacker" should not misuse "nimrod".

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Go to Next message: Betty Bowers: "Katrina, the Terrorist Who Got Through The Metal Detector"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Flood Relief Efforts - Unfair Criticism?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page