TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Is Malware Hiding in Your Windows Registry?

Re: Is Malware Hiding in Your Windows Registry?

Dave Close (dave@compata.com)
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 04:32:30 +0000 (UTC)

Elizabeth Montalbano <idg@telecom-digest.org> writes:

> Security experts have found a vulnerability in the Windows operating
> system that could allow malware to lurk undetected in long string
> names of the Windows Registry.

The answer to the question is, yes, of course, there is malware in
your Windows registry. But it isn't hiding; it's name is "registry".
The registry /design/ is one of the main reasons Windows is vulnerable
to so many attacks.

Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Greed is to the moralists of the
dave@compata.com, +1 714 434 7359 left what sex is to the moralists
dhclose@alumni.caltech.edu of the right." - Cathy Young

Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Politics is the business of getting
dave@compata.com, +1 714 434 7359 power and privilege without
dhclose@alumni.caltech.edu possessing merit." - P. J. O'Rourke

Go to Next message: Steven Lichter: "Last Laugh! I Called You Last Week Mortgage SCAM!!!"
Go to Previous message: Kevin Buhr: "Re: Dear comp.dcom.telecom Readers"
May be in reply to: Elizabeth Montalbano: "Is Malware Hiding in Your Windows Registry?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page