TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: RIP, Sussex Cellular

Re: RIP, Sussex Cellular

Isaiah Beard (sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com)
Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:14:42 -0400

Joseph wrote:

> If you go to http://www.wirelessadvisor.com and put in the ZIP code
> for rural locations such as in Maine or New Hampshire you'll see 800
> AMPS only providers listed. Curiously for many locations you'll also
> see the company Nextwave at 1900 Mhz listed as well even though they
> have no service!

Of course ... Nextwave is the company that bid billions for PCS
licenses, paid the FCC only a few million and then declared bankruptcy
and held on for dear life to their PCS licenses, even though they
never lit up a single tower.

A portion of those PCS licenses were ultimately sold to Verizon Wireless
(the deal closed early this year, earning Nextwave $3 billion). But
what's left of Nextwave still owns spectrum, even though they're not
doing anything with it and haven't for years.

E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Is Verizon Wireless Sabotaging Older Cell Phones?"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Phones, Computers Coming to Astrodome"
May be in reply to: Stanley Cline: "RIP, Sussex Cellular"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page