TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Connecticut Man Sells Micrsoft Windows Source Code

Re: Connecticut Man Sells Micrsoft Windows Source Code

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
31 Aug 2005 09:45:39 -0700

Associated Press NewsWire wrote:

> A Connecticut man known on the Internet as "illwill" pleaded guilty in
> Manhattan federal court on Monday to charges relating to the theft of
> the source code to Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating software,
> considered among the company's crown jewels.

I believe IBM always made the source code available for its mainframe
operating systems. Competitors could and would use it for supplemental
utility programs. They would write links and exits to/from the
operating system for maximum program efficiency.

If IBM can release it, why can't Microsoft?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I guess Microsoft _doesn't want_ to
release their code, and no law says they have to. But as a matter of
fact, they do release it to 'recognized developers' (not just, in
street parlance, 'hackers') to work with provided the same recognized
developers take a vow of total secrecy about their projects and
require the same vows of secrecy from their employees, etc. PAT]

Go to Next message: Adam Nossiter: "Violence, Looting, Riots, Fires Delay Superdome Evacuation"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Judge: Lawsuit About (NYS) Prison Phone Rates Can Proceed"
May be in reply to: Associated Press NewsWire: "Connecticut Man Sells Micrsoft Windows Source Code"