TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?

Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?

Michael Quinn (quinnm@bah.com)
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:09:19 -0400

Speaking of Hoovers, this is a bit of Navy trivia that will all but be
forgotten when the last S-3 carrier based aircraft (remember President
Bush's landing on the USS Abraham Lincoln? That was an S-3) retires.
Known for the distinct high pitched whine from their engines, they are
also sometimes referred to as Hoovers. There is a particular typed of
flight ops known as "Triple H ops", for "Hummers (the E-2C early
warning aircraft) Hoovers and Helos". =20

There is also a running joke in motorcycle circles along the lines of
"Q: What's the difference between a Hoover and a (insert target
motorcycle name here)? A: On a Hoover, the dirtbag is on the inside" etc
etc.

On date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:08:46 +0100 Paul Coxwell
<paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk> said:

> "Hoover" is commonly used both as a generic name for any sort of vaccuum
> cleaner, and as a verb, e.g. "I'll just hoover up" or even "I'm going to
> do the hoovering." The Hoover name never became generic for any of the
> other types of appliances they made, such as irons and refrigerators.
> Had the latter been the most widely associated product of the company,
> maybe today people would talk about "Getting some milk from the Hoover."
> Sounds weird, but it could have happened.

> -Paul

Go to Next message: Matt Crenson: "New Orleans Facing Environmental Disaster"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Who'll Mind the Mainframes? / Few Students Learning to Run"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?"