TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Stromberg Carlson Company?

Re: Stromberg Carlson Company?

George Berger (gberger@his.com)
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 00:15:55 -0400

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>> Would anyone know any history of this company? I know that they once
>> made telephones, radios, and PA systems. I understand "Comdial"
>> phones are an outgrowth of them. I presume they are long out of
>> business.

In the late 1930's my grandparents and parents had Stromberg Carlson
AM radios in the living room to receive what passed, in those days,
for "true to life" recreation of what ever was on the other end at the
microphone.

The sets were strong on polished wood, big speakers with the voice
coils being driven by an a.c. tap rather than speakers using permanent
magnets as we have today, and more sections of RF amplification in the
tuner module than we ever see in this day in age. As for tubes - -
well, when you turned one on, the temperature in the living room could
rise several degrees. Most were in the RF and AF amplifier stages,
with a pair of 6L6's in push pull used as the output.

Hey! My first Hi Fi power amp that I built in 1949 used 6L6's and
Partridge transformers and my JBL speakers were housed in home-brewed
enclosures. Now, I use a Bryston preamp and amplifier and Thiel
3.5's.

Times have really changed!

George (The Old Fud)

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
-- Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman (attributed)

Go to Next message: Carl Navarro: "Re: Stromberg Carlson Company?"
Go to Previous message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Broadband Competition Must Surely be Working"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Stromberg Carlson Company?"