TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Appeals Court Ruling Revives Case of Intercepted E-Mail

Re: Appeals Court Ruling Revives Case of Intercepted E-Mail

Michael D. Sullivan (userid@camsul.example.invalid)
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:00:41 GMT

Barry Margolin wrote:

> It seems to me that they're using the wrong law. Doesn't the
> Electronic Communications Privacy Act have provisions prohibiting
> email providers from looking at customers' mail, except as needed to
> provide the service (e.g. server administrators sometimes have to look
> at mail to diagnose problems)? Why are they using the a wiretapping
> statute, when he didn't actually intercept anything on the wire?

The ECPA is part of the federal wiretapping law; it amended the
wiretap laws that were enacted as part of the 1968 Omnibus Crime and
Safe Streets Act to address electronic communications.

Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD (USA)
(Replace "example.invalid" with "com" in my address.)

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: Appeals Court Ruling Revives Case of Intercepted E-Mail"
Go to Previous message: Ali: "Using Converged Services Platform [CSP] with Windows"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Appeals Court Ruling Revives Case of Intercepted E-Mail"