TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Calling All Luddites

Re: Calling All Luddites

Ed Clarke (clarke@cilia.org)
7 Aug 2005 02:07:28 GMT

On 2005-08-04, Thomas L Friedman <ntytimes@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

> I began thinking about this after watching the Japanese use cellphones
> and laptops to get on the Internet from speeding bullet trains and
> subways deep underground. But the last straw was when I couldn't get
> cellphone service while visiting I.B.M.'s headquarters in Armonk, N.Y.

No matter what you do, you aren't going to get cell service in CHQ
Armonk. The lobby (if you noticed it) has a copper foil ceiling; the
walls are metal and the windows are metalized (and grounded). You're
not going to get a radio signal out of that building (or into it).
I've tried.

I had to set up a demo for the corporate staff that involved satellite
data transmission. We ended up moving the meeting to a different
building on the site that wasn't quite so RF secure.

Go to Next message: Gene S. Berkowitz: "Re: Hiroshima Marks 60th Anniversary of Atomic Bomb Attack"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: FCC Gives Blessing to Sprint, Nextel Marriage"
May be in reply to: Thomas L. Friedman: "Calling All Luddites"