TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Nextel False Advertising

Re: Nextel False Advertising

Garrett Wollman (wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu)
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:31:56 UTC

In article <telecom24.347.18@telecom-digest.org>, PAT writes:

> (2)"Although we do serve a large portion of the public and are
> considered 'nationwide', we only serve mostly people centered near
> major interstate highways and in larger cities successfully"

Look closely at the advertising and you'll probably find that they do
say that. There's probably some fine print to the tune of "nationwide
coverage claims based on 89% of US population". That means that they
don't claim to serve the least-economical 11% of the country, as
determined by population, which is of course a huge land area. They
could exclude all of Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas and still meet
that claim. (In actuality, they probably do serve, KCK, Wichita,
Omaha, Lincoln, Sioux Falls, Fargo, and Bismarck -- just not the
hundreds of miles of small towns and farms in between.)

Their Web site is quite honest about this (much more so than most
carriers' coverage maps that I have seen):

<http://www.nextel.com/en/coverage/index.shtml>

Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
wollman@csail.mit.edu | generation can invoke its principles in their own
Opinions not those | search for greater freedom.
of MIT or CSAIL. | - A. Kennedy, Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003)

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "Info Appliance Offers Nice Touches, but It's Costly"
Go to Previous message: John R. Levine: "Re: Nextel False Advertising"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Nextel False Advertising"