TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone For VOIP - Home Device Imitates Provider Signal

Re: Cell Phone For VOIP - Home Device Imitates Provider Signal

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
31 Jul 2005 22:35:41 -0000

> Could there be a device that gives give off a home network signal that
> your cell phone can connect to as it does your service provider? You
> could then user your cell handset for VOIP calls when near such a
> device.

Technically? I suppose so, although the device would have to spoof
your phone's preferred carrier to get the phone to connect. But in
practice, there's no way this would happen since the frequencies in
question are licensed to the cell carriers, and they would not be at
all amused at freelance low-power competition that would steal their
calls.

> There is talk of special wi-fi enabled phones doing this, but this
> could be used with any phone, and could possibly be wi-fi enabled as
> well.

WiFi is different, since it uses the same unlicenced band as 2.4MHz
cordless phones. For that matter, why screw around with WiFi? Just
make it a cell/cordless phone.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: Steven Lichter: "Re: Bell System and GTE Telephone Operator?"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Cell Phone For VOIP - Home Device Imitates Provider Signal"
May be in reply to: jhedfors: "Cell Phone For VOIP - Home Device Imitates Provider Signal"