TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Analog Cell Phone Service - What About OnStar?

Re: Analog Cell Phone Service - What About OnStar?

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. (spamtrap100@comcast.net)
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:00:23 -0600

John L. Shelton <john@jshelton.com> wrote:

> When OnStar (from GM) was announced some years back, it was said to
> operate on the analog cell phone network. GM claims that since 2004,
> they started using Digital/Analog radios. So it seems there's a large
> fleet of cars out there that will be crippled with the coming death of
> analog cell phone service.

Yep. But GM is offering a free upgrade if you sign a 3 year contract:
Other manufacturers may be offering similar deals. Details at
www.onstar.com

Q8: If my GM vehicle is capable of being upgraded, what is the process
for having upgrade equipment installed?

A8: Digital upgrade kits are now available for some GM
vehicles. Upgrades for these vehicles will be provided to OnStar
subscribers at no charge with the purchase of a nonrefundable, 3-year
OnStar subscription. To arrange for an upgrade or obtain more
information on digital equipment upgrades, please contact your local
GM dealership or call OnStar toll-free at 1.888.206.0031.

Interestingly, OnStar units from before 2000 used a handset style cell
phone and cannot be upgraded.

Go to Next message: J Kelly: "Re: Analog Cell Phone Service - What About OnStar?"
Go to Previous message: David L: "Re: Analog Cell Phone Service - What About OnStar?"
May be in reply to: John L. Shelton: "Analog Cell Phone Service - What About OnStar?"