TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Analog Cell Phone Service - What About OnStar?

Re: Analog Cell Phone Service - What About OnStar?

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:20:39 -0700

John L. Shelton wrote:

> When OnStar (from GM) was announced some years back, it was said to
> operate on the analog cell phone network. GM claims that since 2004,
> they started using Digital/Analog radios. So it seems there's a large
> fleet of cars out there that will be crippled with the coming death of
> analog cell phone service.

I doubt that'll happen. Only the REQUIREMENT to maintain analog is
going away. If OnStar is paying good money to certain cell carriers to
provide analog, I'm pretty sure they'll continue providing it until
OnStar migrates everyone to digital. Having said that, I don't know
what the migration plans are.

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Go to Next message: David L: "Re: Analog Cell Phone Service - What About OnStar?"
Go to Previous message: stannc@gmail.com: "Re: Analog Cell Phone Service - What About OnStar?"
May be in reply to: John L. Shelton: "Analog Cell Phone Service - What About OnStar?"