TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: R-TEC Isolation Filter and Unknown Box

Re: R-TEC Isolation Filter and Unknown Box

William Warren (william_warren_nonoise@comcast.net)
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:12:46 -0400

wh349055@netscape.net wrote:

> I was in my basement, trying to remove the mess of wires, and putting
> them all on a punchdown block. I noticet two old grey bell co wires
> going to a box called an isolation filter. From there they went into a
> box called an "R-tec STU-7". Inside the r-tec box, there is a
> rechargable battery, and an instruction sheet. The sheet says:

> -Telephone must be wired for briged ringing
> -Use straight line ringers only with bias spring at minimum setting.

> The box is grey, says "Phone Co Property" and is about 9'' by 5'' by
> 2'' deep.

> What is this, and what does/did it do (it was disconected)

> Thanks,

> Warren

Warren,

It's an "AML" box, which was used to provide additional dial tone to a
house that didn't have an extra pair available on the pole.

Asynchronous Multi-Line units use Frequency Division Multiplexing to
allow super-audible transmission of additional dial-tones, the same
way DSL uses super-audible frequencies to transmit data. They were