TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Question About "Network Interface" Phone Jack

Question About "Network Interface" Phone Jack

wylbur37 (wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com)
24 Jul 2005 18:49:38 -0700

After living in the same place in New York City for years, I recently
moved to another place (also in New York City). The room I moved to
has an existing phone jack but it looks different from the old
square-ish ones I'm accustomed to. (The old ones consisted only of 4
terminals inside the case). This new one is rather rectangular and
has a label on the outside that says ...

Network Interface
*Caution
Disconnect plug from this jack during installation and repair
of wiring.
*Testing
Plug working phone directly into this jack. If phone operates,
fault is in wiring. If phone does not operate, call repair
service.

When I opened the case, I noticed that the red and green wires (the
only ones that will be actually used by the telephone itself) are also
connected to a little circuit board whose most conspicuous component
is a yellow cylinder-shaped object (about 3/4" long and about 3/8"
diameter) with the following markings ...

250V
TI
0.47 MFD
+/- 10%

* What is the purpose of this circuit board?
* Is it really necessary? (How come the old-fashioned jacks
didn't have this?)
* What if I were to disconnect it?

Also, when I looked inside the jack itself (the hole where you would
plug the phone into), I noticed there's some strange-looking gunk
inside. It's clear-colored and has the consistency of rubber cement.

* Is this something that's supposed to be there?
* What is it used for?

Go to Next message: Danny Burstein: "ISPs as Censors (Canada) ("
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Now Playing on Apple's iTunes: Adult-Oriented Podcasts"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Question About "Network Interface" Phone Jack"
May be reply: William Warren: "Re: Question About "Network Interface" Phone Jack"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page