TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Up the Broadband Creek Without a Signal

Re: Up the Broadband Creek Without a Signal

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
18 Jul 2005 15:50:29 -0400

James R. Hood <consumeraffairs@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> It's a little puzzling why broadband Internet via electrical lines
> hasn't taken off. The copper wires that deliver electricity to homes
> and offices are capable of moving a lot of data at very low cost but
> the technology just hasn't gotten the attention it would seem to
> deserve.

It has somethong to do with the fact that it doesn't work.

> That may be changing, though. A Maryland company that provides
> high-speed Internet access over electrical power lines last week
> received a major investment from Google Inc., the Hearst Corp. and
> Goldman Sachs. Current Communications Group declined to disclose
> financial terms of the investment though the Wall Street Journal
> reported that it approached $100 million.

> If the FCC stays out of the picture, maybe this will go somewhere.

I doubt it. All the money in the world won't make a system intended
for narrowband power delivery handle higher frequency data traffic
reliably.

Scott

Go to Next message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Telcos' Q2 Broadband Subs to Surpass Cable's"
Go to Previous message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: Muzzling the Muppets/Bush Wants PBS to Toe Republican Line"
May be in reply to: James R. Hood: "Up the Broadband Creek Without a Signal"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page