TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Muzzling the Muppets/Bush Wants PBS to Toe Republican Line

Re: Muzzling the Muppets/Bush Wants PBS to Toe Republican Line

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:37:05 GMT

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:26:24 -0700, hancock4 wrote:

> Harry Truman and Richard Nixon both independently remarked that
> history will be written by a liberal perspective because most writers
> and social critics are of a liberal bent.

Reminds me of Thomas Kuhn's "The Structure of Scientific
Revolutions". His argument is that really big changes in science come
about when the upstart theory wins over the upcoming generation, since
the older, established, scientists can't change their views radically.

Professional historians have largely been fairly liberal for some
generations now. Since they are the writers of serious history, it has
been their views that have come down. If they somehow train up a
generation of right wing historians, that could change, but not until.

Of course, one has to wonder why those whose profession is the study
of history tend to have liberal views. Is there something in the
detailed study of what has happened in the past that leads to such a
position? Or is it just that those with other views tend more to spend
their lives in other fields?

Go to Next message: jared: "Re: News Corp. Forms Internet Division"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Muzzling the Muppets/Bush Wants PBS to Toe Republican Line"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Muzzling the Muppets/Bush Wants PBS to Toe Republican Line"