TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Thor Lancelot Simon (tls@panix.com)
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:44:48 UTC

In article <telecom24.321.5@telecom-digest.org>, John Stahl
<aljon@stny.rr.com> wrote:

> hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote about Re: Non-Bell ESS? on Date: 12 Jul
> 2005 12:11:16 -0700:

>> I'm very sure it was a non Western Electric switch. It was made in
>> Plano Tx (forgot the maker's name) and it was used for local calls....

>> ... The basic pattern was the same-an unexplained deluge of
>> electronic messages shutting down a computer built by DSC
>> Communications Corp. of Plano, Texas ...

> To the best of my memory, DSC, whose name was mentioned in the archive
> you added (above), never made any type of an ESS switch, which the
> original essage questioned a non-Bell switch. DSC, now owned by
> Alcatel (France), made a whole line of CPE including multi-line
> systems and even some FO based equipment.

DSC's main product for the carrier market was a signal transfer point
(STP): basically a router for SS7 signaling messages. The other major
player in that market was Tekelec, who started to wipe the floor with
DSC just before DSC was bought by Alcatel.

Thor Lancelot Simon tls@rek.tjls.com

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is
to be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: A Question About International Country Code Number Assignments"
Go to Previous message: Fred Goldstein: "Re: Non-Bell ESS?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Non-Bell ESS?"