TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: A Question About International Country Code Number Assignments

A Question About International Country Code Number Assignments

dawidov (dawidov@yandex.ru)
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:49:44 +0400 MSD

Dear Mr Townson,

I live in Russia.

So, I can have some problems with my English. Excuse me, please for my
possible mistakes. I've found your site and decided to ask you about
one thing I'm interested in. I will be very grateful to you if you
answer my letter.

My question is about international phone-codes. I always wanted to
know: why appointed regions have appointed phone-codes. I'm sure that
it's sequence isn't accidental. What logic lies in this order of
codes?

I know that my question seems stupid and quite strange (or even
crazy). But I really need your help.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely yours,

Davydova Alla

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Thank you very much for your letter. I
appreciate knowing that this little digest gets read in Russia and
other far away countries. I do not know what logic, if any, was used
in the assignment of international country codes. It does seem odd to
me that North America gets '1' followed by three digits for the
'area codes' while Russia gets '7', European countries generally
get '3' or '4' followed by a few more digits, etc. Maybe one of our
readers knows the logic behind the numbering scheme, and will share
it with us. Please continue reading this space for a few more days
as I print some of the answers I receive. PAT]

Go to Next message: John Stahl: "Re: Non-Bell ESS?"
Go to Previous message: News Wire: "Microsoft Gives in to China's Demands"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: A Question About International Country Code Number Assignments"
May be reply: Alan Burkitt-Gray: "Re: A Question About International Country Code Number Assignments"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page