TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Google Earth Thrills With Photos, Stunts, But How Practical?

Re: Google Earth Thrills With Photos, Stunts, But How Practical?

Tim@Backhome.org
Fri, 08 Jul 2005 15:04:59 -0700

Monty Solomon wrote:

> It's good to have a healthy skepticism about the claims of the
> hype-driven technology industry. But there are times when even a
> hardened skeptic has to admit to amazement and delight at the sheer
> coolness of some of the things you can do on a personal computer
> today. And one of those "wow" moments happens the first time you run a
> new program called Google Earth.

As someone who works with topo and satellite info as part of my work,
I find Google Earth to be basically fluff with little substance.
(aka, hype).

Sat data are expensive and all Google is doing is baiting with some
metro area stuff. Most of the country is junk photos. Maybe they
will eventually have real coverage for a whole lot of money.
Terraserver.com is a lot better and a lot more honest about this
stuff.

Go to Next message: burris: "Re: SunRocket VOIP Comments?"
Go to Previous message: snow: "Verizon VOIP Questions"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page