TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cable TV vs. UHF (was Re: DSL Speed)

Re: Cable TV vs. UHF (was Re: DSL Speed)

Garrett Wollman (wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu)
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:27:21 UTC

<nmclain@annsgarden.com> wrote:

> One UHF station obviously could not have provided anywhere near this
> level of service. And I can't imagine that three network-affiliate
> stations would have been able to survive financially.

> Of course, it might have been possible to build three translator
> stations to retransmit the signals of three distant network stations,
> provided that some financial-support mechanism could be established.

By the early 1980s, Rutland had full-power service from Vermont ETV
(now called something different) on WVER, channel 28, and translator
service from Burlington's WCAX-TV (3, CBS) and WVNY/WEZF-TV (22, ABC).
I don't believe WIRI/WPTZ (5 North Pole, N.Y., NBC) ever had
translators in Vermont, although WCFE-TV (57 Plattsburgh, PBS) did.

The Albany stations were late movers to the VHF dial; the Capital
District's only original V was General Electric's WRGB (4
Schenectady), which moved to channel 6 in the Great VHF Shuffle of the
early 1950s. The ancestor of today's WTEN (10 Albany) was a network
of three "full-power" UHFs: WROW-TV/WCDA (41 Albany), WCDB (29
Hagaman), and WCDC (19 North Adams, Mass.); WCDA moved to channel 10,
WCDB was shut off, and WCDC has remained on Mount Greylock to serve
areas shadowed from the main channel 10 site in the Helderbergs.
Today's WNYT (13 Albany) began as WTRI (35 Troy), sister to WTRY (980
Troy).

Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
wollman@csail.mit.edu | generation can invoke its principles in their own
Opinions not those | search for greater freedom.
of MIT or CSAIL. | - A. Kennedy, Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003)

Go to Next message: Marc Popek: "Re: VoIP Phone Home?"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "Mouse to Offer Mobile Phone Service"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page