TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Cellcos, was Re: DO NOT! DO NOT Use Cingular Go Phone

Cellcos, was Re: DO NOT! DO NOT Use Cingular Go Phone

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 04:08:17 UTC

In <telecom24.309.5@telecom-digest.org> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> writes:

> A friend who owns an ISP here made an interesting point. Cingular,
> Verizon Wireless, Sprint PCS, Alltel ... all of those wireless
> services are owned by wireline companies (in Verizon's case, only 55%
> because the company that owns the other 45% is not a wireline
> carrier).

Cough, cough. T-mobile is a horse of a different color. It started off
as a bunch of more-or-less self standing cellcos in the US who were
eventually bought up/merged into Voicestream (Western Wireless), which
had a hefty amount of Asian capital behind it.

They were then picked up by the German/European phone and
communication giant, Deutsche Telekom.

So while they're owned by a telco, it's in a very, very, different
situation than the others.

Disclaimer: I'm not only a customer, I'm also a shareholder.

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Bell Usage of IBM Computers For Switching"
Go to Previous message: doma970@yahoo.com: "SDH Interoperability"
May be in reply to: shwekhaw: "DO NOT! DO NOT Use Cingular Go Phone"
May be reply: Steve Sobol: "Re: Cellcos, was Re: DO NOT! DO NOT Use Cingular Go Phone"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page