TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Power Strips for Home Networks

Re: Power Strips for Home Networks

DevilsPGD (spamsucks@crazyhat.net)
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:34:03 -0600

In message <telecom24.280.13@telecom-digest.org> David B. Horvath, CCP
<dhorvath@withheld_on_request wrote:

> PAT -- please remove email address, too much SPAM.

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:49:42 PDT, Fred Atkinson
> <fatkinson@mishmash.com> wrote:

>> I've accumulated so many devices on my home network (and some devices
>> that are not network related as well) that power strips are an issue.
>> Most of these devices have the big 'calculator charger' type of power
>> supply that plugs directly into the AC outlet.

> Yes, you are not the only one with this problem. My current solution
> is multiple power strips plugged into multiple outlets. However, I've
> also seen (sorry, can't remember where, try a web search) short
> extension cords for use with wall-worts and power strips. The cords
> get the blocks away from the strip so you can use all the available
> power jacks.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=392778

This is the best solution I've seen so far, you can not only use the
extension for a brick, but you can also stack tall bricks over+above
smaller bricks too.

In message <telecom24.280.16@telecom-digest.org> "Howard S. Wharton"
<yhshowie@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:

> Pat,

> By daisy chaining your power strips, you are causing the first ones in
> the chain to be overloaded and possibility the circuit it's plugged into.
> And it is a fire waiting to happen.

The risk isn't generally relevant in the case of typical brick
adapters.

I have a bunch of powerbars in the basement that are rated between 5
Amp and 12 Amps each, and are chained. I tossed in a meter in front
of the only powerbar that actually connects to the wall and the whole
thing is actively using less then 2 Amp.

The power spikes up to 4 Amp right when the power is initially
connected, but that's about it.

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: ISP Hunting"
Go to Previous message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Companies Want _US_ to Pay For Their Mistakes"
May be in reply to: Fred Atkinson: "Power Strips for Home Networks"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page