TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dial/Touch Tone Speeds (was Re: Bell Divestiture)

Re: Dial/Touch Tone Speeds (was Re: Bell Divestiture)

Tim@Backhome.org
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:40:02 -0700

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>> I note that PBX operators had 20 pps dials while the rest of us had 10
>> pps. Some kids experimented and found 20 pps worked at home. Now, it
>> was easy to modify the dial to go faster -- so why didn't Bell have
>> everyone at 20 pps -- faster utilization of equipment? I strongly
>> suspect there were valid technical reasons not to.

During the transition period of deployment to electronic switching, a
lot of step-by-step office were provided with DTMF-to-dial-pulse
converters so the Bell System and independent LEC could sell DTMF
service to subscribers. That implementation was definately limited to
something not far above the recommened interval for DTMF tones. As to
speeding up dial pulse, that would work on a Crossbar because the
origin dial pulse was not driving the switching matrix, where is was
on a stepper switch.

Any PBX hooked to a stepper switch had to have its dial pulse limited
to 10 pps.

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Dial/Touch Tone Speeds (was Re: Bell Divestiture)"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Cardholders Kept in Dark After Breach -- Washington Post"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Dial/Touch Tone Speeds (was Re: Bell Divestiture)"