TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: XO Communications

Re: XO Communications

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
21 Jun 2005 14:43:03 -0400

Tony P. <kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net> wrote:

> In article <telecom24.278.15@telecom-digest.org>, alg@aracnet.com
> says:

>> Well Steven, an outage involving three DS-3s would likely be related
>> to an OC-3 failure (an OC-3 at ~155 megabits/second will carry three
>> DS-3s or just over 2,000 voice channels). I'd guess one of two
>> failure types caused your emotional trauma: Traditional "back hoe
>> fade" or an OC-3 to DS-3 mux went on "time out" for a while.

> A backhoe undoubtedly being operated by Backhoe Bob. Apparently at a
> recent gathering of IT folks involved with the Help America Vote Act
> this was a common refrain.

We call this "BIPL" or "Backhoe-Induced Packet Loss."

scott

Go to Next message: Dean M.: "Re: Which Video Plug-in For Skype? Video4Skype.com or vSkype.com?"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Bell Divestiture"
May be in reply to: Steven Lichter: "XO Communications"