TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Power Strips for Home Networks

Re: Power Strips for Home Networks

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:32:04 -0000

In article <telecom24.280.16@telecom-digest.org>, Howard S. Wharton
<yhshowie@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:

> Pat,

> By daisy chaining your power strips, you are causing the first ones in
> the chain to be overloaded and possibility the circuit it's plugged into.
> And it is a fire waiting to happen.

How many 50 watt wall-warts can you daisy-chain off a strip with a 15
A breaker in it, before the built-in breaker overloads and trips?

I just surveyed a batch of my wall-warts. The AC draw is mostly
between 21 and 35 watts each. with one 50 watter in the mix. It's
going to take, oh, about _30_ of those to equal the draw of my
toaster. Assuming that they are drawing at their maximum rated load.

The rat's nest of wires is an invitation to trip over, agreed.

The "reliability" of such an arrangement is also laughable.

But an _overload_ problem?? Or a fire-safety hazard?? <guffaw>

Who do you think you're kidding?

I've got one set-up with over _forty_ devices, running of a
medium-large (1500VA) UPS. The instrumentation built into the UPS
says the total draw is about 60% of rated capacity. There's one
12-outlet strip, two 8-outlet strips, and five 6-outlet strips, involved,
in total. With two pieces of gear plugged directly into the UPS
itself. The strips aren't all hooked into a single chain, but there
is one series that is 3 long.

Should I mention that the set-up _passed_ City fire-safety inspection.

Go to Next message: ellis@no.spam: "Re: Power Strips for Home Networks"
Go to Previous message: AES: "Re: Power Strips for Home Networks"
May be in reply to: Fred Atkinson: "Power Strips for Home Networks"